A round-up of this weeks film news, events and cinema releases
Some news from the week -
1. Northern Ireland Screen’s Irish Language Broadcast Fund (ILBF) and the Celtic Media Festival have launched a bursary to commemorate Irish language activist, Aodán Mac Póilin. Read more on this on Scannain
2. Paddington 2’ has earned StudioCanal it's biggest ever opening weekend in Ireland for a weekend total of €830,000. Check out IFTN for more
3. Ivan Kavanagh’s western ‘Never Grow Old’, produced by Ripple World Pictures, is casting for Extras on Saturday 18thNovember. The film stars Emile Hirsh and will shoot in Galway from the 4th-22nd of December. Click here fore more
4. The trailer for "A Quiet Place" starring Emily Blunt and John Krasinksi has been released. This will be Krasinki's third feature as director. Read more about the film on IndieWire
5. The 2017 IFI French Film Festival has now launched teh full programme can be found their website
New cinema releases -
*denotes an Irish film
Film Stars Dont Die In Liverpool - Directed by Paul McGuigan and starring Annette Bening, Jamie Bell, and Julie Walters
"A struggling young actor strikes up a passionate May-December love affair with Gloria, an Oscar-winning actress whom he meets in London as she begins work on a theatre play. Though happy at first, the relationship slowly deteriorates as Grahame's health wanes."
Good Time - Directed by Benny Safdie and Josh Safdie. Starring Benny Safdie, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Robert Pattinson
"Connie is a desperate petty crook whose sole mission is to take care of his mentally challenged brother, Nick. Need a cash injection fast, Connie forces Nick to join him in a bank robbery; after a frantic chase Nick is arrested and Connie needs ten grand for bail, moving across the city in an attempt to cobble together the money"
Ingrid Goes West - Directed by Matt Spice and starring Aubrey Plaza, Elizabeth Olsen and O'Shea Jackon Jr.
"Ingrid leads a lonely life, latching on to "friends" on Instagram and other social media sites. When she is released from therapy Ingrid quickly falls back into her old ways: Instagram 'influencer' Taylor catches her eye and so Ingrid makes for California, renting a house from Batman fanatic Dan and sets about ingratiating herself into Taylor's life
Justice League - Directed by Zack Snyder and starring Ben Affleck, Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa and Ray Fisher
"The world is iin mourning over the death of Superman but evil never rests. Now a new threat has arrived on planet Earth in Steppenwolf who Batman, aka Bruce Wayne, knows can only be defeated if the world’s greatest superheroes unite to fight him. He sets about recruiting Diana Prince aka Wonder Woman, Barry Allen aka The Flash, Arthur Curry aka Aquaman and Victor Stone aka Cyborg into his team - but maybe there's room for one more..?
*In The Name of Peace: John Hume in America - Directed by Maurica Fitzpatrick, narrated by Liam Neeson
"This 90 minute documentary includes compelling footage from the conflict in Northern Ireland and interveiews with former Amreican Presidents (Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter), British Prime Ministers (Tony Blair and John Major) and Taoisigh (Bertie Ahern and Enda Kenny) who all discuss Hume's vital role as one of th key agents of transformation in Northern Ireland.