A weekly round-up of film news, events and cinema releases.
Some news from the week –
1. The lineup for the 2018 Cannes Film Festival was announced, without any Netflix films. Read more on Screen Daily.
2. Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht clarifies the €200m funding allocation for the Irish Film Board. Read more on Scannain.
3. Avengers: Infinity War is making record-breaking sales through Fandango ahead of its release, surpassing all other Marvel film pre-release sales combined. Read more on Variety.
4. 18 Shocks and Surprises From the 2018 Cannes Lineup, From Spike Lee to Jafar Panahi — and No Terry Gilliam. Read more on Indiewire.
5. RTÉ will be the premiere channel for the second season of The Handmaid’s Tale outside America. Read more on Entertainment.ie.
New releases in cinema this week -
Custody - Written and directed by Xavier Legrand, starring Léa Drucker, Denis Ménochet, Thomas Gioria, Mathilde Auneveux
“A broken marriage leads to a bitter custody battle with an embattled son at the centre.”
Rampage - Directed by Brad Peyton, starring Dwayne Johnson, Malin Akerman, Joe Manganiello, Naomie Harris
“Based on the classic 1980's video game featuring apes and monsters destroying cities.”
Truth or Dare - Directed by Jeff Wadlow, starring Tyler Posey, Lucy Hale, Violett Beane, Nolan Gerard Funk
“A college student is haunted by a supernatural presence after being tricked into playing a game of 'Truth or Dare’.”
Wonderstruck* - Directed by Todd Haynes, starring Millicent Simmonds, Julianne Moore, Cory Michael Smith, James Urbaniak
“The story of a young boy in the Midwest is told simultaneously with a tale about a young girl in New York from fifty years ago as they both seek the same mysterious connection.”
Making the Grade - Written and directed by Ken Wardrop**
“MAKING THE GRADE invites us into the world of the piano lesson. Every year teachers and students throughout Ireland prepare for graded musical exams. These exams can be pleasing for some ...”
*This film was part of the ADIFF18 selection
**This film was part of the ADIFF17 selection