A weekly round-up of film news, events and cinema releases.
Some new from the week-
1. Incredibles 2 becomes the highest grossing animated film in the US, ever. It is the first animated film in history to surpass $500m. Read more on Entertainment.ie
2. The lineup for the Locarno Film Festival has been revealed, including 15 features, 13 of them being world premieres. The festival will run from August 1-11. Read more on Variety.
3. Tim Heidecker joins Elisabeth Moss and Lupita Nyong’o in the new Jordan Peele Thriller 'Us'. This is the second film from Oscar-winning director Peele, following 2017's Get Out. Read more on The Hollywood Reporter.
4. Ava Duvernay's upcoming Netflix series Central Park Five, adds Michael K. Williams, Vera Farmiga and John Leguizamo to it's cast. Read more on Empire.
5. The nominees for the 70th Emmys have been announced! Find the full list of nominees Emmys.com
New releases in cinema this week-
Skyscraper- Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, starring Dwayne Johnson, Neve Campbell, Pablo Schreiber, Byron Mann, Hannah Quinlivan, Noah Taylor, Roland Møller and Chin Han.
"Former FBI Hostage Rescue Team leader and U.S. war veteran Will Ford now assesses security for skyscrapers. He's on assignment in China when he finds the tallest, safest building in the world suddenly ablaze, and he's been framed for it. A wanted man on the run, Will must find those responsible, clear his name and somehow rescue his family, which is trapped inside the building, above the fire line."
Incredibles 2- Directed by Brad Bird, starring Holly Hunter, Craig T. Nelson, Sarah Vowell, Huck Milner, Samuel L. Jackson.
"Everyone’s favorite family of superheroes is back in “Incredibles 2” – but this time Helen is in the spotlight, leaving Bob at home with Violet and Dash to navigate the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life. It’s a tough transistion for everyone, made tougher by the fact that the family is still unaware of baby Jack-Jack’s emerging superpowers. When a new villain hatches a brilliant and dangerous plot, the family and Frozone must find a way to work together again—which is easier said than done, even when they’re all Incredible."
The Butterfly Tree- Directed by Priscilla Cameron, starring Melissa George, Ewen Leslie, Ed Oxenbould, Sophie Lowe, Ella Jaz Macrokanis, Lauren Dillon.
"Evelyn, a burlesque queen, bewitches single dad Al and his teenage son, Fin. As they compete for her affections, old wounds are reopened over the death of Fin's mother."
*The Racer and the Jailbird- Directed by Michael R. Roskam, starring Matthias Schoenaerts, Adèle Exarchopoulos, Eric De Staercke, Jean-Benoît Ugeux, Nabil Missoumi, Thomas Coumans.
"Loyalties are tested when a high-flying Brussels gangster and a young racing driver with upper-class roots fall in love."
*First Reformed- Directed by Paul Schrader, starring Ethan Hawke, Amanda Seyfried, Cedric Kyles.
"A pastor of a small church in upstate New York spirals out of control after a soul-shaking encounter with an unstable environmental activist and his pregnant wife."
*This film was part of the #ADIFF18 selection